Friday, October 3, 2008

I've been a busy bee!!

It's been a week...whew. I'm so glad it's Friday!! After a busy weekend last weekend with soccer, b-day party, haircut, church, cleaning house, Cowboy's game...etc, then this work week! I have had so much to do at work, it isn't even funny! Job security though, right?? That's what I tell myself anyway.

Dylan's behavior has been a *little* bit better this week...we did have another incident at soccer practice. I didn't go because apparently (according to Jeremy), I'm not allowed to go anymore. Dylan acts way worse when I'm there :( 99% of it is because he's tired...he's still struggling with the no nap thing. Last night he was asleep by 6:15 for the night!! Poor guy didn't even eat dinner or get his bath in! Okay, back to the soccer incident. So there's this ADORABLE little girl on his team, I might have mentioned her...her name is Landrie. Anyway, I get this phone call and it's Dylan..he's BAWLING! I ask him what's wrong and he said, "Daddy spanked me..WAHH". I asked him what happend. He said that he said something mean to one of his friends. After about 3 or 4 tries of him telling me what he said through his babbling cries, I got out that he told Landrie she was fat :( This little girl is absolutely adorable and she is a little on the chunky side. I was MORTIFIED!! We try SO hard not to talk about the way people look and I am very conscious of saying I'm on a "diet" or really even talking about size/weight, etc. I know how bad my self-image is at almost 30 and I know society does enough damage itself, so we are very careful in that aspect. SO, I calmly explain to him (again, we are on the phone here) that what he said was NOT okay and we do NOT say things to hurt peoples feelings...EVER! I explain to him that he gets upset when someone says something to him he doesn't like and how is this any different. Of course, he's still bawling at this point. I told him to get himself together, calm down to where he's not crying anymore and go back out on the soccer field and apologize to Landrie and tell her he was sorry for hurting her feelings. He said he would and we ended the call.

They got home from soccer and we had another talk. He did apologize to her and Jeremy said she didn't appear to be upset by the comment, but still!! I had already decided that before they got home, I was going to call her mom. She is the sweetest woman ever, so I didn't think she would make a big deal out of it, but I wanted her to know that it was NOT okay and Dylan had been talked to. When I called her, she was beyond sweet about it. She said Landrie had not even said anything to her, so it must not have left much of an impression. She thanked me profusely for calling, said it meant a lot to her, etc. Apparently, they've had to drop out of one Mother's Day out program because of kids making fun of her...these are FOUR year olds people!! It just amazes me!!

Anyway, that's my big saga of the week. I've been praying for God to give me the strength to handle these things with the right amount of calm and sternness that is needed AND my kids still knowing that I love them regardless. Seriously, there should have been a parenting manual!!

This weekend looks to be a pretty good one. Saturday we have soccer first thing. Then, the kids and I are going to my mom's house to help her get her fall decorations out and put up...should be fun :) Sunday, we'll go to church and then just hang out, watch some football...good ole Fall Sunday...love it!!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

haven't I just been so lucky in my week? UGH, i'm def. glad for this one to be over. I did get the blanket and pillowcase finished for the b-day party today so that is good.

As far as the blocks go, LMK which one(s) you're interested in and i'll get you a price. We're doing them for our fab. friday so it won't hurt me to cut a few extra sets of blocks (just know that I probably won't get to them until the end of the month when we have the fab fri :) with Nate laid up i'm not sure I can guarantee them before halloween.

Sorry about Dylan, I am reading *the kazdin method for parenting the defiant child* - there was a blurb on it in a parents mag and it reminded me of Mia so I checked it out from the library - hopefully it isn't total bull crap :D