Monday, September 22, 2008

Parenting is SO hard :(

So today wasn't the best day, parenting-wise. The kids did great getting up this morning...especially considering that Monday's are always rough on all of us getting back into the swing of things. My day was super busy at work, I had 3 conference calls and it just flew by. I'm still knee-deep in dealing with Hurricane Ike related issues with our employees. I left work right at 5 and headed to daycare to pick the kids up from after-school care. The kids are downstairs in the "after-school" room, so they have to call for them when I get there. I waited probably 2 minutes for them to come up. I see Dylan first. Sydni comes meandering behind him pouting because he didn't wait on her....this happens every-day except you never know which one will not wait on the other *sigh*. That is LEAST of my problems as I will soon find out.

Dylan spots a plastic baseball bat and foam ball and immediately picks it up. The conversation goes like this:

Me: Dylan, please put the bat and ball down. You know we don't play with things like that inside.

Dylan: I will mom, just a minute.

At this point, he taps the ball with the bat.

Me: (more sternly) Dylan, put the bat and ball down NOW.

Dylan: doesn't verbally reply, but proceeds to hit the ball with the bat again. Granted it was NOT hard and it didn't hit anything, but that's beside the point.

Me: DYLAN! If you don't put the bat and ball back where you got it NOW, you will get a spanking!!

Dylan: Do you want me to hit you with this bat??

Me: EXCUSE ME?

At which point, I go over to him and wrestle the bat and ball away from him. I don't say anything to him because I'm just trying to get out of the place at this point.

Dylan: (after I put the bat and ball up and head to the door) I hate you. You are the meanest mommy ever.

Me: Tight-lipped, I say nothing except "Dylan, let's go NOW." In my mind, I'm wanting to beat him. BUT, I don't beat my children and really, what would that solve at this point anyway?!?

Dylan: He continues with his ranting that I'm the "meanest mommy ever" and I'm "so rude" and he "hates me".

Honestly, I wanted to curl up in a ball in the parking lot and cry :( I know this is just part of childhood and Dylan has always been much more challenging that Sydni is this aspect.

We get in the car and I proceed to tell him that he will not EVER talk to me like that again! EVER! I explain to him how hurtful it was and how sad it made me. I told him that when you get angry, there are other ways to express your anger than saying mean things that you do not mean. He's BAWLING at this point and I'm 95% sure that he's reacting this way because he's tired...NOT an excuse, but I know that's the reason. My little man is STILL struggling with no naps in Kindergarten and Monday's are rough on him as it is.

I told him that when we got home, he could have no TV time and that he had to sit in his room and think about his behavior.

We got home and he comes barreling in the door screaming and crying about how "mean his mommy is". Jeremy is already home and is like, "WHAT is going on here?!?!"

I proceed to give him the details. Jeremy goes in to talk to him and he comes out to apologize to me. I told him I Loved him and how BADLY he hurt my feelings when he said mean and ugly things to me.

I pray that the way I (we) handled it was the right way, but really, who knows the right way when it comes to parenting.

So, on top of a long day at work, I'm tired mentally and emotionally. Pray for me that I have the strength to handle this strong-willed child that God has blessed me with.

Until tomorrow....

4 comments:

Jenn said...

ok, i'm not sure if i'm gonna get bashed for this or not as I think these comments are public but I wanted to say I SO feel your pain. Talon never did and still never has said he hated me - Belle was only like 3 I think when she said it the 1st time and I pretty much cried and then made her feel really bad - you know total guilt trip *it makes me so sad that you say you hate me because I love you so much and could never EVER hate you....etc....* - after I got it thru to her that it wasn't ok and was just a mean thing to say I told her if she ever said it again I was going to tape her mouth shut.

It was a little while before she said it again but she did and so I broke out the tape and taped her mouth shut and made her sit at the counter for like 5-10 minutes like that. I then explained again to her how you only say that to be mean and hurtful and it wasn't ok and was NOT something we do in families who love each other as much as ours does.

She only ever said it 1 more time and it was kind of mumbled under her breath but I heard her and she knew I did because she smacked her hand over her mouth like *oh my gosh I can't believe I just said that* and said *i'm sorry i'm sorry I don't really hate you*

It is SUCH a hard thing. Mia says it from time to time but she is SO different from the other kids that I don't even know what to do with her so she either goes to her room or sits in time out - I guess because of her personality it doesn't hurt my feelings quite as much or maybe i'm just getting thicker skin but gosh it makes me crazy when she says it!

Unknown said...

I think you handled it perfectly, Amber. It's good to remember that it is just part of learning to express himself. (or so I've been told :P)

Unknown said...

I think you handled it perfectly, Amber. It's good to remember that it is just part of learning to express himself. (or so I've been told :P)

mytwocuddlebugs said...

hopefully this child of mine will quickly outgrow this unfabulous way of expressing himself ;p